The Cost of Building a New Garage
Like most people, it is quite possible that your current garage running out of storage space. Perhaps, you do not have a garage to store your car and other items that need storage. Whether you have a garage or not, adding one to your home can increase the value and give you more storage. While building a garage is a wise investment, you will need to consider some things before starting your new project. The first of which is the cost.
There is no one size fits all when it comes to building a garage. The first thing you will need to decide when determining the cost is size. The average cost per square foot is around $40. The $40 per square feet is the baseline. This dollar amount does not include things like premium materials, obtaining permits, and contractor fees. Below are listed the most common sizes:
- One car: 12′ x 20′ (240 square feet)
- Two car: 20′ x 20′ (400 square feet)
- Two car with storage space: 24′ x 24′ (576 square feet)
- Three car: 24′ x 32′ (768 square feet)
If you are building a new garage for a workspace, you will want your it to be bigger than the minimum size.
Attached or Detached Garage
One of the most significant decisions you will make when building a new garage is attached or detached. Deciding between a detached or attached garage, maybe a personal preference or it may have to do with cost.
An attached garage will share a wall with your home. Sharing a wall will cut down on the cost. When you chose an attach garage your electrical, plumbing, and HVAC can extend from your home. There are no additional costs to add new electrical, plumbing, and HVAC. However, an attached garage may require some structural changes to your home, which will drive up costs. When deciding between an attached and detached, you should talk with your contractor to see which is best.
The Cost of Materials
The cost of materials will have a significant effect on the total cost. When figuring out the cost of materials, you will need to consider the following building materials.
- Door: Most of the time either your contractor or you will have to subcontract the installation of the garage door. Since you need installation and additional labor for this material, it is more costly. One car doors cost between $500 to $900 before labor. The labor it normally takes to install a door is usually 6 hours. If you want a two or three car then, you will need to double or triple this price.
- Siding: Once the building of is complete, you will need to finish the outside. You can choose from a variety of materials such as vinyl, aluminum, cement board or wood. The costs of these materials range from $2 per square foot for vinyl and $6 per square foot for wood.
- Foundation: The type of foundation you need will depend on the climate. If you live in a place where it does not freeze, you can use a concrete slab. However, if you live in a place where it does freeze, you will need to add footers that reach below the freeze line. The cost of foundation is between $2.50 and $4.50 per square foot.
Now that you have a better idea of the costs your new garage, it is time to select a plan. Call Behm Design today at 1-800-210-6776, and we will help you select the right garage plan.