Garage Plans Questions?
Call Jay @
(search example: 24 x 36
or: loft , or: dormer, etc.)
BEHM DESIGN IN THE PRESS
same plans, instant delivery-
Bath Layout Plans
For Your Garage
"Jay, I want to thank you for the plans. I was able to obtain my permit in about 2 hours. Next step is to price out the material........ Thank you very much
" Thank you so much Jay,
I will do some pricing, and see what I come up with. What a great company you have. Very nice plans and very nicely presented in your web site. Thanks so much for helping me figure out the next step.
- B.W. "
"..Built the garage this spring and it turned out fantastic. Building codes here are rather strict, but the inspector did not find a single flaw in design or construction. I love the design and my new shop/garage." -Gerald M.
Building The Garage - What To Do Before Construction Begins:
by Jay Behm
1. Determine feasibility of building a garage on your property - in terms of zoning, building dept. and community development standards and parameters.
>>> Important: Design parameters for wind speed, wind exposure, seismic risk category and snow loads will be available at your local building dept. as they pertain to your building location. You will need to know them when looking for your garage plan.
2. Determine your requirements for the new garage - such as number of garage bays, extra work area, ceiling/wall height, dimensions, features and architectural style.
3. Select a garage plan (or plans) suited to your requirements.
>>> Important: The garage plan you buy should have design parameters that meet or exceed the parameters required for your project. Most professional quality garage plans use prescriptive compliance with the IRC building code (the basis code for nearly all states' codes) so they are usable in most locations. Additionally, if your local building dept. requires that plans be certified and stamped (which is rarely required) then you would need to find a local engineer to review and certify (professional registration is state-by-state) before submitting application for building permit .
4. Determine approximate cost of the garage construction - obtain materials list for supplier to make preliminary materials package estimate, contact concrete foundation/slab contractor for estimate, check with framer/builder for labor costs. Alternatively: have general contractor estimate total project cost (as turnkey project)
5. If financing is involved set up the loan for the garage construction
6. Acquire building plans for garage
7. Have construction costs verified with the building plans to negotiate and finalize bids (guaranteed cost for work and/or materials)
8. Apply for building permit - submit garage plans for permit review (if required) - building permit and administrative fees are usually involved - you will need to submit either paper or PDF document for the review, whichever the building dept. requires
9. Upon building permit approval: finalize/convey funds - might need escrow
10. Upon building permit approval: finalize contracts, begin construction
(it is recommended that no excavation, work or materials be purchased until AFTER building permit has been approved/issued)
ROUGH ESTIMATE GARAGE BUILDING COST
VISUALIZE YOUR NEW GARAGE
FREE SAMPLES PDF FILES OF OUR GARAGE PLANS
Garage Plans Include:
FREE PROJECT PLANNING CHECKLIST
Hi Jay -
Attached is a photo of my garage (#856-1), which turned out great. The garage plans were thorough and made approval in my city and county (which has a strict set of design standards) much easier....Thank you.... M. C., OH
Jay, I meant to tell you much earlier what a great value your garage plans are. This garage was constructed late fall of '09. I was at the house the other day and it happened to be one of those perfect coastal New England summer days. The garage looked great. .........Thank you, J.W.
Jay, your garage plans were right on the money. I was able to get an accurate quote and was able to check up on the contractor to make sure it was being built by the specs. The low cost spent on the garage plans made whole project go smoother. No potential disagreements. Every time there was a question I would just say, “build it just like the plan says” Thanks again !